This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

studentsInternational Students

Registering with the UK National Health Service

Welcome to the University of Nottingham Health Service (UNHS). In the UK you need to register with an NHS doctor on arrival  so that you can  access free healthcare. Doctors usually work together in health clinics also known as health centres or general practices.


To be eligibility for NHS care you must either be a:

  • UK or EU citizen
  • citizen of a country with a full reciprocal agreement
  • registered student on a course of over six months
  • spouse or dependant of someone fitting 1-3
Countries with reciprocal arrangement:
British Virgin IslandsIsle of Man
St Helena
Channel IslandsLiechtensteinTurks & Caicos Islands
DenmarkLuxembourgFormer Yugoslavia
Falkland IslandsNetherlandsFormer USSR except Latvia
FinlandNew Zealand 

Doctors in the United Kingdom have catchment areas.  You need to find a doctor in whose catchment area you live.  Details of doctors are available from:

  •  public libraries
  •  post offices
  •  the local Primary Care Trust (PCT’s)
  •  at 

When you register with the practice you may need to proof that you have a visa or are on a course of a minimum of six months.

How to Register

In order to make registration simple, we run special registration sessions in the week of term. These are in the Trent Building on the main campus. You will be advised of times and location by your Faculty.  As there are large numbers of students to register we ask where possible that you try and attend your allocated session as students attending the wrong session may experience a longer waiting time.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website