When We Are Closed

Call NHS111

For confidential health advice and information 24 hours a day 365 days a year, contact NHS 111 Service. You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time.

Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. The NHS 111 service is staffed by a team of fully trained advisers, supported by experienced nurses. They will ask you questions to assess your symptoms, then give you the healthcare advice you need or direct you straight away to the local service that can help you best. That could be A&E, an out-of-hours doctor, a walk-in centre or urgent care centre, a community nurse, an emergency dentist or a late-opening chemist.

The fully trained NHS 111 team will collect the caller's personal details and obtain further information about the nature of their call. They will then make recommendations as to whether a patient needs to be transferred to the BrisDoc Out of Hours service.

If this is the case, NHS 111 will book patients into either a telephone advice appointment or a face to face consultation at one of their primary care centres. If there is a clinical need that requires a home visit, the BrisDoc team will arrange this.

Details of your consultation will be sent to your registered GP and added to your patient record to assist continuity of care by your own Doctor.

Self care at home:

We all have small accidents at home and suffer from seasonal ailments such as coughs and colds. Most of the time we can patch ourselves up and care for ourselves  with the help of a first aid kit and a well stocked medicine cabinet containing over the counter remedies. DON’T FORGET KEEP YOUR MEDICINE CABINET OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.

Your medicine cabinet should contain pain relief, antihistamines, oral re-hydration tablets and indigestion treatment. Always follow the directions on medicine packets and information leaflets and never exceed the stated dose. If you have any questions about medicines you would like to buy, ask your local pharmacist.

Your First Aid Kit should contain bandages, plasters, a thermometer, antiseptic, eyewash solution, sterile dressings, medical tape and tweezers.

Ask your Pharmacist

From sprains to stomach upsets; your local pharmacist is qualified to give expert advice without an appointment for many conditions. Very often your pharmacist can offer advice that will save you a trip to the GP.

Visit a Minor Injury Unit

A&E doctors and nurses are equipped to deal with serious medical cases, for less serious medical problems such as wounds, sprains and broken bones visit a Minor Injuries Unit, these units normally have shorter waiting times:

Southmead Hospital Minor Injury Unit
Monks Park Road
BS10 5NB
Including Bank Holidays & Christmas

Go to A&E

You should go to your local accident and emergency (A&E) department if you need emergency care for a serious injury or illness. Unless you need emergency medical attention it is best not to go to A&E. A&E doctors are equipped to deal with serious medical cases, NOT routine and minor ailments.

Out-of-hours services are generally busy so please think carefully before asking to see a doctor and only do so if you genuinely cannot wait until the surgery re-opens.

In a genuine emergency you should call 999. Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.  

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website