Cervical screening (a smear test) checks the health of your cervix. The cervix is the opening to your womb from your vagina.
- It's not a test for cancer, it's a test to help prevent cancer.
- All women and people with a cervix aged 25 to 64 should be invited by letter.
- During the screening appointment, a small sample of cells will be taken from your cervix.
- The sample is tested for changes to the cells of your cervix.
- Finding abnormal changes early means they can be monitored or treated so they do not get a chance to turn into cervical cancer.
- You'll get your results by letter, usually in about 2 weeks.
We know that having your smear test can cause anxiety, but we would like to reassure our patients that the process is very simple, very quick and our practice nurse is extremely experienced. We have received very positive feed back from our patients and so would like to encourage everyone who is eligible for one to please book your appointment with our nurse. If you know your mum, wife, partner, daughter or even next door neighbour are due for theirs, please encourage them to come along.
Link to www.nhs.uk