University Students

Many students coming to Aberdeen are away from home for the first time, and some will be in a foreign country. Parents have often looked after any health care needs, and suddenly students need to look after themselves. You are entitled to register with a GP under the National Health Service for all medical services. It is important to arrange registration with a GP on arrival in Aberdeen to ensure you are covered in an emergency. Students who have long-term conditions, for example asthma, epilepsy or diabetes are encouraged to attend the GP Practice they register with on arrival in Aberdeen. This provides an opportunity to discuss continued treatment and management of diagnosed conditions.

For those students attending RGU, the university has implemented a self-certification process to accommodate situations arising from COVID 19.  These relate to both absences and assessments.  The relevant forms have been made available to all students and are available at this includes a FAQ Section.


You can register with any medical practice, but if you are looking at this website you may be considering Garthdee Medical Group. We are associated with The Robert Gordon University and are located on the Garthdee campus.  

We only accept patients who reside within the practice boundary. If you are unsure and wish to check whether you can register and have moved into student accommodation,  please refer to the Student Hall's of residence guide here or please contact us on 01224 208312.

If you wish to register with Garthdee Medical Group, you will need to complete our registration forms. You can download these on our registration page.  Please also see the useful forms below for downloading and complete and return any additional forms which is applicable to you.

They are also available at reception. Please return completed forms in person to the practice, and we will advise you whether you need to make an appointment.


If during the course of your studies you change your address (or any contact details), you must inform the practice as soon as possible so that our records are accurate. This can be done in person, or by posting us the change details form [downloadable HERE]. Failure to do so may result in your name being removed from the practice list. Please note that if your new address is outside our practice boundary you will be advised to change practice.

Students are required to update their contact details at the practice at the end of the term to ensure that their registration remains current.

General Advice

If you have any medical problems or worries you can obtain advice from the surgery once you are registered. Consultations are by appointment only, we also have telephone consultations. Advice can also be obtained from NHS 24 either by using the website for self-help or by phoning 01224 655 555.

Contraceptive advice and prescriptions are available by seeing your GP or from the Family Planning Clinic at:

Aberdeen Community Health & Care Village,

50 Frederick Street,

Aberdeen, AB24 5HY

Tel: 01224 655 555

If you are worried about sexually transmitted infections please arrange an appointment either with your GP or at the Genito Urinary Medical (GUM) Clinic . Tel: 0345 337 9900.

You can seek help with personal worries or stress by contacting the Student Counselling Centre and arranging to speak in confidence with a counsellor. Tel: 01224 262120 or email:

If you become unwell whilst away from Aberdeen, you can be seen by a local medical practice as a temporary resident. This is also what you should do if at home during vacations.

Sick Lines

During the time you spend at university you may experience an episode of illness. This may impact on your ability to attend lectures, tutorials or complete some of your course work.  The university has procedures in place to offer you help and support and you should make yourself familiar with these.    

If you are requested to complete a medical evidence support form, this can be obtained from the practice or downloaded below.  

Normally there will be a fee for providing written evidence.

Download RGU Evidence Request Form

If you are in employment where you are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, a Med 3 form may be required by your employer after 7 days of continual absence.

Important Notice for Female Students

All female patients registered with the practice age 25-64 will be sent a letter on behalf of the practice from Practitioner Services, inviting them to attend the surgery to have a cervical smear performed every 3 or 5 years depending on age.

The Practice would encourage you to have this screening but you have the right to opt out. Should you decide not to have a smear performed the practice requires written notification that you do not wish to participate in screening.

It is extremely important that you respond to this letter (either to make an appointment or opt out) as failure to do so may result in practitioner services removing your name from the practice list.

Useful Forms for Downloading

Important Notice for New Patients

Smear Refusal - Opt Out Form

Change of Address Form

Student Fastalc and Smoking Status

Useful Numbers

Asthma Opt Out

Diabetic Opt Out

Student Halls of Residence

NHS ScotlandThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website