This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Are You a Carer?

Do you support someone? If the answer is yes who supports you?

Carers are people who provide help and support to a family member, friend or neighbour who cannot manage on their own due to physical or mental illness, disability, substance misuse or frailty brought on by old age. Carers can be any age.

Many carers do not see themselves as Carers for different reasons. You may be looking after your:

Husband, wife or partner Siblings Friend or neighbour Child with disabilities Parents.

Let your GP surgery know if you are a Carer

Your surgery needs to know if you care for someone to ensure that you are supported effectively.

Collect and complete a 'Do You Care for Someone?' leaflet from reception to register as a Carer. You will then be provided with a Carers Information Pack that contains information to help you support your own health and wellbeing.

Your information will remain confidential within your GP records and will not be shared with other agencies.

Carers Assessments

The local authority has a statutory duty to offer Carers Assessments. This can be a productive way of identifying your needs as a Carer.

The eligibility criteria to access a Carers Assessment requires that you provide regular and substantial care, which equates to 14 hours per week.

If you are providing less than 14 hours a week and feel your caring role is impacting on your our health and wellbeing you are also entitled to access a Carers Assessment.

To request a Carers Assessment Call Derbyshire on 08456 058 058.

Emergency Card Scheme for Carers

The Emergency Card provides 'peace of mind' to Carers if anything should happen to them. It helps council staff at Derbyshire County Council to get in touch with friends and relatives and if necessary provide replacement care for the cared for person.

To request a Carers Emergency Card complete the Record of Carers Details on the back of the 'Caring for Carers' magazine and return it to Derbyshire County Council,

Alternatively, ring Call Derbyshire on 08456 058 058 to complete the application.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website