About Hailsham and Seaforth Farm Doctors Surgery
Hailsham is a market town of about 20,000 people which can trace its roots back to to the Doomsday Book in around 1086. Then the English Channel came further inland and at high tide boats could nearly reach Hailsham which is now some 7 miles inland. In 1252, Henry III granted Rights of a Market in Hailsham - "Peter of Savoy and his heirs in perpetuity may have a market in his manor of Heylesham every week on Wednesday with all customs pertaining to such a market" The town market still runs regularly and there is a popular farmers market where the public can buy products direct from the farm.
In the early 1800s Thomas Burfield set up the beginnings of the town's rope-making industry which still survives today. There are still reminders of rope making in two of the towns roads - Rope Walk and String Walk, so called after the long narrow areas used in its manufacture. By 1850, thirty-six windmills could be seen from the top of the tower of St Mary's Church in Hailsham. Today it is probably less than a handful and most of those are in a state of disrepair.
In 1880 the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway Company opened the extension from Hailsham to Heathfield. It ran until 1965 when Dr Beeching's cuts were implemented. In 1968 the last train ran from Hailsham station and the station and goods-yard area were cleared in 1980 to make way for the houses of Lindfield Drive. The railway line between Hailsham and Heathfield was famous for the sound of Cuckoos and was fondly known as the Cuckoo line. Now the route has been transformed into a cycle and walking path which, it is planned, will link into the national cycle network.
The current surgery is built on the site of out-buildings from the original Seaforth Farm which extended down to the Pevensey Marshes. There are extensive views from the rear of the buildings out across the marshes and across to the old Royal Observatory at Herstmonceux.