The British Red Cross Home from Hospital Service aims to assist with the hospital discharge of patients who require short-term, low-level care and support that is often not recognised as the formal responsibility of statutory agencies.
The service is co-ordinated by a Service Co-ordinator, with a group of trained volunteers. We aim to:
- Ensure a smooth transition from hospital to home
- Assist in reducing the amount of bed blocking within the hospital
- Promote independence and help rebuild confidence
- Signpost to other agencies/support
- Offer practical and emotional support
- Act as a safety net for those leaving hospital
Who is the service for?
Anyone aged 18 or over. Service users normally live on their own, or care for a dependent.
Referrals cannot be accepted for anyone where lone working issues might arise such as drug, alcohol or mental health issues.
What can we do?
Volunteers can visit for around two hours, once a week for six weeks following the patient’s discharge from hospital. We will also maintain regular telephone contact if required. In these visits we can:
- Provide company
- Do the shopping
- Accompany out of the house (NB not all volunteers have cars)
- Collect prescriptions
- Help with light domestic tasks
- Offer practical help and advice
- Ensure the service user is in a safe environment
- Liaise with other agencies and organisations where appropriate
What we cannot do:
- Administer or supervise medications
- Witness legal documents including wills
- Have access to a clients bank or building society account
- Personal care
- Manual Handling
- Provide a laundry service
- Referrals must be made over the telephone or face to face with the co-ordinator
- Patients can self-refer or be referred by a friend or family member within two weeks of their hospital discharge date.
- Volunteers are trained in Protection of Vulnerable Adults, Child Protection, Lone Working, Infection Control and Health & Safety
- Volunteers are matched to service users living in their area, travel expenses are paid
- All volunteers are fully CRB checked
Karen Skeats - Home from Hospital Co-ordinator
0117 941 5041
07595 205 728