This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Sickness Certificates

If you have an illness lasting 7 days or less you do not require a doctor's sickness certificate.  Your employer may require you to complete a self-certification form called an SC2 which is available from the HMRC website or you can click on the link below to download the form.

SC2 Form

If you are off work for more than seven days due to illness your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay). 

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called 'Statement of Fitness for Work' from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

Statement of Fitness for Work - 'Fit Note'

The 'Fit Note' was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer's support, the note will help you return to work soon by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the Direct Gov website (below)

DirectGov website

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website